Sunday, November 06, 2005

Book Sale and "Violence"

Another first Saturday of the month, another dock sale at the Harvest Books outlet.

My friend Haley had come up from Maryland to visit me on her last break from AmeriCorps before heading home via a six-week road trip. She got to experience the book sale too, and picked up some good reading for the evenings on her long trip home. I got some good stuff, too. I've already put them up on LibraryThing-- some art history, literature, and linguistics texts. I picked up a book called La Sculpture Grecque Classique by Jean Charbonneaux, who worked at the Louvre in the early 40s. I've looked online, and haven't been able to find a biography for him which includes information on his activities during the German occupation, during which this book was published (1942). Just curious.

That evening we played Scrabble-- always a treat, even when I go last (i.e., when I lose, which always happens when I go last!).

After a Thai dinner, Haley, Dennis and I saw A History of Violence, a David Cronenberg film starring Viggo Mortensen. I thought it was pretty interesting, and definitely had some cool scenes. I look forward to Dennis' online review. I don't get a chance to go out to movies often, due to lack of funds and time, but I'm glad I saw this one. During at least one scene, the score reminded me of The Silence of the Lambs. I checked-- both were done by composer Howard Shore. The only other Cronenberg film I've seen in full is Dead Ringers-- a thriller starring Jeremy Irons as twin gynocologists-- yes, twin gynocologists.

A busy day! Having a guest visit makes me actually get out and do stuff, which I appreciate.

No comments: